This is a joint meeting of the NCPMI Higher Education CoP, and the Duke Project Management CoP.
Meeting: 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Registration/Networking: 2:30 PM-3:00 PM
Presentation: 3:00 PM -4:30 PM
In this 90-minute session, participants will complete a simple team assignment with restrictions that highlight the challenges of communication, collaboration, and coordinating stakeholders. Participants will build a structure out of Legos that must conform to design specifications and use available materials. Teams have defined roles for different members; all participants must operate within the limits of their roles and in the available time. After completing the exercise, we will debrief the experience as a group, discussing topics such as observed behaviors, unexpected challenges, and how team members collectively organize and solve problems. The activity mimics many workplace challenges common to project management.
- Gain an understanding of the value of collaboration
- Explore the benefits and challenges associated with collaboration
- Develop a mindset of looking at the bigger picture: migrating from problem-solving in a silo to reaching out to other resources and understanding the larger system at play
- Engage in problem-solving as a team
- Observe their own behaviors in protecting or sharing information across teams