A policy manager is responsible for managing the policy programs by creating/modifying/retiring/ enforcing including chapter bylaws/governing NCPMI policies—a crucial role in NCPMI. He/ She also ensures that the strategic objectives of the PMI and NCPMI are fulfilled in collaboration with Director (Policies and Governance) of NCPMI. The Policy manager will work (relatively autonomously) under the guidance of the Director of Policy and Governance, helping achieve the Strategic goals of NCPMI as committed to by the VP of Finance and Admin (for the team).
This position belongs to the Finance and Administration Team (VP of Finance and Admin), but will work with all of the Board Members as required.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Help the Policy team in validating that NCPMI policies are consistent and complaint with all applicable governmental jurisdiction and regulations (e.g. IRS, Mandatory Compliance – Federal, State, Local Laws and Regulations, PMI Policy, Sarbanes Oxley and etc.)
- Contribute to the Development and maintenance of the policy manual for NCPMI, Information Security/ Personal Information Policy, by working on specific policies outlined by the Director of Policy and Admin and/or the VP Finance and Admin.
- Identify gaps in the NCPMI policy portfolio, and assist in bridge those between PMI and NCPMI policies by working on specific policies as specified in the Policy “roadmap” for the Chapter
- Participate in the Governance of policies across the NCPMI and help the VP of Finance and Admin and the elected Board in facilitating compliance with approved policies
- Raise awareness of and provide training on polices/ code of conduct/ regulations/ processes to other volunteers
- Become fully Aware of the Ethics and Review Process, and help with compliance and educating other Board Members and volunteers
- Assist the Director of Policy and Governance, and the VP of Finance and Admin, if required, to clarify the roles/function definitions of NCPMI
- Assist the President and the Board, working with the VP of Finance and Admin to support the governance process to enforce and uphold the NCPMI bylaws and policy
- Work with the Policy team and Board Members, as needed, to Review and Update bylaws and ensure they are in alignment with PMI Chapter Charter
- Plan and implement succession and transition activities as directed by the Director of Policies and Governance and the VP of Finance/Admin
Strategic and Business Management Skills:
- Policy Development and Governance Experience. Experience in drafting policy documents, and working with stakeholders to get them reviewed, updated and approved
- Experience with Developing Roles and Responsibilities for non profits is desired.
- Experience with Local Regulations and Laws, and willingness to educate oneself on these and become familiar with them
- PMI Knowledge and Experience
- Experience with Ethical code, conduct and Guidelines for an organization
- Excellent writing Skills
- Facilitation Skills
- Skilled in Strategic Planning and Process and Governance
- Conflict Management
- Decision Making
Average Years of Project/ Management Experience: 8
Average Years of PMI Volunteer Experience: 3 years (equivalent experience with non profits, especially in the area of policy and governance is highly desirable)